My email sent to managers at the Calgary Herald:
I am looking for comment on editor David Marsden’s blog post “Shooting Muslims. That’s what the federal Tories are up to now?” as so far I have not seen a statement been issued:
– Do Herald blog posts get prior approval before being posted and if so, who approved this one?
– Did Marsden write and post his own headline and if not, who did?
– The blog post was quickly pulled from the Herald’s website, who made that decision?
– Obviously the Herald management found this blog post did not meet its journalistic standards, has Marsden and anyone else associated with its posting been disciplined?
– As Marsden is a member of the Herald’s four-person editorial staff, how will you ensure readers that his anti-Conservative bias has been dealt with?
Also: For more background on this, see earlier bog post here
Update: The Calgary Herald’s response and my follow-up:
Thanks for your email. I am going to answer your question one by one.
No, Herald blog posts do not get prior approval prior to posting. They are the views of the writer in question.
Yes, David wrote and posted his own headline and post. Blogs are not like newspaper articles, where the headline is written by someone other than the writer of the piece.
David decided to pull the post when he learned a bit more about the paper targets that were used. It was his decision.
I don’t see why he would need to be disciplined. The post was his point of view and clearly positioned as an opinion. He still thinks it was inappropriate for something that could be construed as depicting Muslim males in general to be used as a target by federal lawmakers in Canada.
As for your unfounded allegation that he has an “anti-Conservative bias” I think his thoughtful editorials and columns would prove such a claim to be incorrect.
Thanks for your email, I hope this clarifies any questions you may have had.
All the best,
Editorial Page Editor
You state that Marsden pulled the blog after learning more about the targets in question yet still feels it was racist of Anders and Mathieson to shoot at anything depicting Muslim males. Which is it?
Also, you say Marsden has no anti-Conservative bias yet his headline states “Tories are shooting Muslims”. As a Conservative ie Tory, I take great offence to any newspaper headline that labels me and others violent, murderous racists and to say so, shows an extreme bias.