I’m trying to think of another political scandal involving a Canadian political journalist that was bigger than the one CTV Power Play host Don Martin is currently embroiled in.
It’s a fairly complex case but CBC’s Charles Rusnell does a great job explaining what has been alleged and what has now been proven – it basically boils down to this:
1) Arthur Kent was seeking a AB PC nomination but had spoken out against then leader Ed Stelmach
2) As revenge, Stelmach wanted Kent to lose nomination
3) Kent’s lawyer (whose firm was tied to PC Party) colluded with PC insiders to leak damaging false info to then National Post reporter Don Martin
4) Kent finally forced the AB Law Society to finally hear the case against lawyer which found her guilty of breaching confidentiality and covering-it up
5) criminal charges may still be forthcoming against Kent’s former lawyer and civil lawsuits against PC party officials, Don Martin, Canwest (now Postmedia) and the National Post are still going through the courts
Topping the article off were emails between Martin and the lawyer which showing some serious lack of professionalism and assuredly damaging for the ongoing civil suits:
“I see the death spiral for (Arthur Kent) continues? Any more dirt? Column runs tomorrow. Hugs. (Don). (see here)
How Martin could keep his job at CTV after this would be mind-boggling.
Also: For further reading, Arthur Kent posted a lengthy run-down on his bog site in 2011 here